
Welcome to My 11CM English Class!
I am so excited to meet and greet all of my new students and get to know you all! I would first like to introduce myself to my new students and parents! This is my first year here at Great Mills High School and I am very excited to begin with you! I was born and raised in St. Mary’s County, MD where I went to Leonardtown High School (Sorry, Hornets!) I then completed my undergrad at St. Mary’s College of Maryland. I received my teaching certification in Secondary English Education from The College of Notre Dame of Maryland. I am currently seeking my Masters Degree in Leadership of Teaching from Notre Dame as well. In my free time I enjoy
reading (surprise, surprise!), doing crafts, taking trips, listening to music, singing, playing piano and finding random ways to have fun!
Why do I want to teach English?
First of all, reading and writing are fun! You can read and write about anything you can imagine. Using your imagination is one of best and free activities out there! I want students to learn that reading can be fun and is pivotal to the rest of their lives. Doing this will mean that the reading must be relevant to their lives, and I plan on making sure that happens! I also believe that English can be creative and fun, and I will incorporate popular culture, music, film and other factors into creating a multi– dimensional learning experience.
Most of all, I want my students to have fun, learn and take memorable experiences from my classes!
Helpful Hints for My Students
- Keep an agenda with you, not only will it keep you organized for this class, but will help you manage your time for your other subjects and after-school commitments.
- Participate! Don’t be afraid to speak up in my class! I want to hear different views and opinions, even if that means “I Don’t Know”.
- Study, Study, Study!
- Don’t be afraid to come to me for assistance. I will be more than happy to help you one-on-one with an issue you have with the class material. Remember, The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask!
- Be prepared for class everyday. Have your homework ready, your journal, and the text that we are covering.
- Listen. Not only to me, but to your classmates, they are full of insightful thoughts!
- Take notes, make lists, doodle ideas. It will help you visually as well as give you something to study with later on.
- Write down vocabulary you may not be familiar with.
- Leave the cell phone on silent!
My Expectations for Students
- I expect respect from you to me and other students.
- I want you to feel free to express yourselves in your writing– so don’t hold back!
- Try your best– I am not asking for perfect, but I am asking for your best effort.
- Keep your parents informed about what is going on at school. They can be awesome sources of information!
- Keep your IPods and Cell Phones hidden. I love them as much as anyone else, but not in my class!
- Be on time. You have plenty of time in between classes to get here before the bell rings.
- Be honest. If you are having a problem with an assignment, come talk to me. Don’t panic and copy someone else’s work, its not worth it!
Have Fun. Be Creative. Learn.
(Picture from: http://www.bookpublishing.com/images/Home_Photo_books.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment